Home Safety Tips for Arizona Seniors
It’s important for seniors to take extra safety precautions around the house, especially while cleaning.
Following are suggestions from the Home Instead Senior Care of Greater Phoenix – Scottsdale, AZ:
- Always keep stairs, steps, landings and all floors clear of clutter.
- Carry loads you can see over, and keep one hand free to hold banisters and railings.
- Safely tuck telephone and electrical cords out of walkways.
- If you need to climb, always use a ladder. (Although, as a senior, it’s best to get someone else to do the climbing.)
- Follow product label safety recommendations, like wearing gloves and masks, when using harsh products.
- Do not mix household cleaning products together because their contents could react with dangerous results.
- Carefully read the labels on all products and medications and separate those that say “Caution,” “Warning,” “Danger” or “Poison.” Empty buckets after use. Store them turned over or upside down.
- Make sure your water heater is set to 120 degrees Fahrenheit to prevent scalding.
- Keep handy a fire extinguisher and fully stocked first aid kit.
- Post emergency telephone numbers near every phone in your home.
For additional home safety information and resources, please visit www.homesafetycouncil.org.
Need a little assistance around the home? A reputable cleaning firm could be just what you need, or consider hiring an elder care company to assist you around the house. Home Instead Senior Care hires CAREGivers to go into the homes and communities of seniors to assist with such tasks as light housekeeping, meal preparation, medication reminders, errands and shopping.
Tags: Home Safety